Mosby’s Diagnostic and Laboratory Test Reference 14th Edition
Get the latest research and easy access to today’s most important diagnostic and lab tests! Known for its accuracy, currency, and clear, easy-to-use format, Mosby’s Diagnostic & Laboratory Test Reference 14th Edition features concise test entries that are arranged alphabetically and reflect the latest in diagnostic and lab testing and research. This new edition adds 15 tests with vital information such as alternate or abbreviated test names, test explanation, normal and abnormal findings, possible critical values, and guidelines to patient care before, during, and after the test. Plus, all related tests are cross-referenced throughout the book to simplify lookup. A compact size, durable cover, and A-to-Z thumb tabs make this market-leading book ideal for everyday use in the classroom and on the job!
- Alphabetically organized tests offer quick reference with A-to-Z thumb tabs, so you will never have to search for a test by having to first determine its correct category or body system.
- Normal findings for adult, elderly, and pediatric patients are included where applicable.
- Abnormal findings are highlighted with directional arrows to show increased or decreased test results.
- Convenient appendix lists tests by body system and test type, making it easy to quickly locate related studies.
- A durable cover with rounded edges helps prevent the book from being damaged and makes it easier to handle.
- Each test entry begins on a new page, making tests easy to find.
- Possible critical values are highlighted to show situations requiring immediate intervention.
- Icon for patient teaching-related care indicates information that should be shared with patients and their families.
- User’s Guide to Test Preparation and Performance provides an overview and guidelines for each type of laboratory test and diagnostic procedure, so you can minimize worry about having to repeat a test due to an error.
- Abbreviations for tests are listed in the back of the book, and symbols and units of measurement are listed in an appendix.
- Cross-referencing of related tests makes them easy to find.
- NEW! Test entries include the latest diagnostic tests and laboratory procedures, featuring 10 new monographs and 15 additional tests.
- NEW! Content reflects the latest research on the diagnostic values of results, accuracy of testing, and patient care and education for each test.
- NEW! Common Reference Ranges section added to the Inside Front Cover material.
Mosby’s 2018 Nursing Drug Reference (SKIDMORE NURSING DRUG REFERENCE) 31st Edition
Choose the drug handbook trusted for nearly 30 years! From the leading name in nursing, Mosby’s 2018 Nursing Drug Reference is a full-color portable nursing drug handbook that makes it easy to find the most vital information on the drugs that nurses administer most frequently. More than 5,000 drugs are profiled ― including 20-30 new entries for drugs recently approved by the FDA. . No other drug guide places a higher emphasis on patient safety, with Black Box Warnings for dangerous adverse reactions, Safety Alerts for situations requiring special attention, and a focus on both common and life-threatening side effects. Backed with practical online resources, Mosby’s Nursing Drug Reference proves there is a difference in drug guides. It’s Mosby’s bestselling drug reference for nurses!
- Black Box Warnings provide alerts to FDA warnings of dangerous or life-threatening drug reactions.
- Safety Alert icon highlights the most critical drug interactions and side effects.
- Common and life-threatening side effects are organized by body system, showing signs to watch for during assessments.
- Coverage of IV drug administration highlights dosage and IV administration instructions, including safety considerations and Y-site, syringe, and additive compatibilities.
- Alphabetical organization by generic name provides quick and easy access to specific drugs, and a full-color design highlights important information.
- Nursing Process steps are used as the framework for organizing all nursing care information.Overview of drug categories explains the safe administration of common classes of drugs, as well as their common side effects and interactions.
- Cross-references indicate drug information that may be found in the appendices.
- Complete pharmacokinetic information includes the mechanism and absorption of the drug as well as its action, duration, and excretion.
Quick Reference Handbook for Surgical Pathologists 2nd ed
This book contains a compilation of high-yield, at-a-glance summaries in quick reference format for various topics that are frequently encountered by pathologists in the daily practice or on the boards. The focus is not organ-based histologic criteria, but rather everything else that goes into pathologic diagnoses but is difficult to keep committed to memory. The emphasis is on immunohistochemistry, special stains, grading systems, molecular markers, tumor syndromes, and helpful clinical references. Also included are morphologic summaries that encompass high-yield material cutting across all organ systems, such as an illustrated guide for microorganisms, tumor differentials, and an illustrated glossary of pathologic descriptors.
The book has a unique format in that the information is presented primarily in tables and diagrams accompanied by brief and to-the-point explanatory text. The guiding principle was to boil the information down to the essentials but with just enough commentary to be accessible to a newcomer to pathology and to serve as a quick reference to a practicing pathologist.
In the 7 years since its initial publication, there have been considerable advances in surgical pathology, particularly immunohistochemical stains, molecular diagnostics, and histologic grading schemes. In the second edition, the content has been thoroughly updated to incorporate these developments, while retaining the overall scope and concise format of the first edition. In addition, the reader will find summaries for many new topics as well as multiple new cartoon illustrations and diagrams.
The Dental Reference Manual: A Daily Guide for Students and Practitioners
This book is designed to meet the needs of both dental students and dentists by providing succinct and quickly retrievable answers to common dental questions. Students will find both that it clearly presents the particulars which should be familiar to every dentist and that it enables them to see the big picture and contextualize information introduced to them in the future. Practicing dentists, on the other hand, will employ the book as a daily reference to source information on important topics, materials, techniques, and conditions. The book is neither discipline nor specialty specific. The first part is wide ranging and covers the essentials of dental practice while the second part addresses individual specialties and the third is devoted to emergency dental treatment. Whether as a handy resource in the student s backpack or as a readily available tool on the office desk, this reference manual fills an important gap in the dental literature.
The Complete Reference for Scimitar Syndrome: Anatomy, Epidemiology, Diagnosis and Treatment 1st Edition
The Complete Reference for Scimitar Syndrome: Anatomy, Epidemiology, Diagnosis and Treatment 1st Edition
The Complete Reference for Scimitar Syndrome: Anatomy, Epidemiology, Diagnosis and Treatment gives the complete picture of this rare syndrome that is usually treated with tactics such as imaging. The book goes beyond imaging, providing a pathological and clinical description of this rare syndrome. All aspects beginning with development, clinical presentation, current surgical options (including recent techniques) and indications to treat patients based on current results coming from multicenter study experiences are included. This book is a must-have reference for all cardiologists, cardiac surgeons, thoracic surgeons, pathologists, physicians, residents and students involved in Scimitar Syndrome cases.
- Includes diagnostic features and surgical techniques based on the international scimitar registry
- Gives a complete picture of the various aspects of this rare congenital heart malformation that focuses on recent therapeutic results
- Provides insights into current medical and surgical outcomes
Stromal Immunology (Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology Book 1060) 1st ed
Research into and interest in the role of stromal cells in immunology has exploded over the past 15 years. The conventional view that placed non-hematopoietic stromal cells as passive, structural, and supportive entities has now been replaced with an appreciation that these cells have active, dynamic roles during immune responses, and thus impact on the pathophysiology of multiple immune-mediated diseases. This book serves to provide solid grounding in the fundamentals of stromal immunology, focusing on the biological aspects of their function in addition to highlighting key areas for the development of the field in the future. The book is also a unique source of information on emerging concepts that place stromal cells from outside lymphoid organs as major contributors to the biology of diverse conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis, chronic parasitic infection, inflammatory bowel disease, and cancer
Immunological Tolerance: Methods and Protocols
This edition provides a detailed, up-to-date overview of methods used in the field of immune tolerance. Chapters guide readers through tolerogenic cell types, isolating tolerogenic cell populations for study and therapeutic utility, multiple methods to study the mechanisms underpinning tolerance, methods to induce tolerance through thymus progenitors, and methods to assess the breakdown of immune tolerance in specific pathological conditions. Written in the highly successful Methods in Molecular Biology series format, chapters include introductions to their respective topics, lists of the necessary materials and reagents, step-by-step, readily reproducible laboratory protocols, and tips on troubleshooting and avoiding known pitfalls.
Authoritative and cutting-edge, Immunological Tolerance: Methods and Protocols aims to ensure successful results in the further study of this vital field.
Advances in Comparative Immunology 1st Edition
Immunologists, perhaps understandably, most often concentrate on the human immune system, an anthropocentric focus that has resulted in a dearth of information about the immune function of all other species within the animal kingdom. However, knowledge of animal immune function could help not only to better understand human immunology, but perhaps more importantly, it could help to treat and avoid the blights that affect animals, which consequently affect humans. Take for example the mass death of honeybees in recent years – their demise, resulting in much less pollination, poses a serious threat to numerous crops, and thus the food supply. There is a similar disappearance of frogs internationally, signaling ecological problems, among them fungal infections.
This book aims to fill this void by describing and discussing what is known about non-human immunology. It covers various major animal phyla, its chapters organized in a progression from the simplest unicellular organisms to the most complex vertebrates, mammals. Chapters are written by experts, covering the latest findings and new research being conducted about each phylum.
Edwin L. Cooper is a Distinguished Professor in the Laboratory of Comparative Immunology, Department of Neurobiology at UCLA’s David Geffen School of Medicine.
Allergy and Asthma: The Basics to Best Practices 1st ed. 2019 Edition
Allergy and Asthma: The Basics to Best Practices is intended to serve as a single comprehensive reference covering all needed knowledge of allergic diseases. Allergy is a unique and distinctive area of medicine wherein learning the fundamentals requires gathering information from various different disciplines. Allergic diseases affect various organ systems and the practice of a wide range of physicians from otolaryngologists, and pulmonologists, to gastroenterologists, dermatologists, and ophthalmologists. Clinicians and trainees alike will benefit from a resource that introduces the basic concepts, as well as providing comprehensive, consistently up-to-date instruction on intermediate and advanced conditions, research, and treatment strategies.
The book is divided into nine sections and is written by some of the foremost experts in the field. Allergy and Asthma opens with an introduction which covers the epidemiology of allergic diseases, fundamentals of allergy and immunology, and a thorough grounding of different types of allergens. Early sections address allergic upper airway diseases, allergic skin diseases, and asthma in detail, using a structured, consistent format from chapter to chapter to provide continuity and ease of reference. Later sections thoroughly cover various food allergies, insect allergies, drug allergy, anaphylaxis, and utilize ample tables and illustrations to provide additional learning tools for the reader. This major reference not only provides basic knowledge on diagnosing and treating allergies, but moves beyond these basics to emphasize using a systematic approach to working up and treating a patient. A variety of techniques used in diagnosing asthma and allergy will be examined, of which include prick skin tests, in-vitro testing, patch testing and non-conventional allergy tests. Concluding this book are sections dedicated to management, therapeutic strategies of allergy and asthma, with a look to future research directions for this unique field.
Physicians and residents in allergy and immunology, pulmonology, otolaryngology, gastroenterology, dermatology, ophthalmology and other specialties will find the work of value in enhancing their practice and studies. Researchers in a range of areas especially immunology and food science will also find this text to be a compelling and reliable resource.